Monday, April 24, 2017

Connection Blog #3

SPOILER ALERT!!!!! In class, we are discussing Inception, so I am going to take this opportunity to discuss The Matrix, Inception, and all forms of non-reality. When I first watched those movies, I was paranoid that this was not real life. I felt every day that things worked out too well, or too orchestrated for this to be real life. I tried so hard to detect what reality was, and it really took a toll on me. Ultimately, I reached one conclusion: reality does not matter. When I rewatch The Matrix, now I root for the Agents, and actively discourage Neo and the rebels. I have decided that life is meaningless, and it is the same amount of meaningless whether you are asleep, awake, in a simulation, or in real life. The only purpose is to enjoy your existence. The people in the Matrix enjoy their meaningless day to day lives, and that is their purpose for living. Under the robot control, they are still enjoying existence. Neo wants to take that away from them. In Inception, Leonardo DiCaprio ultimately ends with his kids, but we are unsure of whether or not it is a dream. It does not matter at all! Cobbes found happiness, and that is all that he is meant to do. I feel that happiness in fiction is far better than unhappiness in reality. That is the reason why books, movies, songs, stories, and all forms of fantasies exist. And the worst part in all of those is the end. We enjoy fiction, alternate scenarios, anything to escape cold brutal reality. And I, for one, would gladly choose a good un-reality than a dreary reality. In a similar vein of Descartes, the only thing that I know is true is that I exist. I do not know if anyone else exists. I could very easily be in a simulation, or dream, or coma, or mind control. It does not matter. I make the most out of my everyday life, regardless of whether it is real or not.

SIDE NOTE: I can't remember whether connection is with book and reflection is with the class, or if it is the other way around. Sorry.

1 comment:

  1. I don't know whether to find this disturbing (life is meaningless) or insightful, or both.

    ReplyDelete