Friday, May 5, 2017

Response Blog #4

In every book I read, I always like to have a little thought experiment with the reality of the book. When I was younger, I always liked to read at least two books at a time and see how the characters would interact with each other. For example, I would read Artemis Fowl and Harry Potter at the same time, and see how they would interact. Despite imagining Harry Potter committing massive heists, and having Jack and Annie cast spells, I never imagined that those characters would be reading about each other. This is so eloquent, and I admire the way that the author managed this situation. This is the best way to tie together so many loose strands. The author is like a god to the characters, and that really fits together with the philosophy being discussed and the question of whether a deity exists. Throughout the book, there are so many impossible occurrences. Futuristic letters, talking dogs, messages inside a banana, and the sheer improbability of everything in the book, all of these are objectively impossible. Up until this point I thought that the book was just childish, and that I was not the target audience of the book, as Sophie is just thirteen or fourteen. I just turned seventeen. I wasn’t particularly interested in all the silly hijinks or that kind of humor, I just wanted the philosophy. Now, I really enjoy this story, and everything makes sense. Hilde’s father is extremely witty and intelligent, and is able to entertain Hilde with inside jokes and references. This story is just so meta!!

1 comment: