Tuesday, April 11, 2017

Connection Blog #2

I do recall that Mr. Wickersham said we can write this about anything that we spoke about in class, so I will expand upon something that I said in a discussion monday regarding the existence of a god. Let me begin by stating that these views are not applicable to everyone, and this is only applicable to the information I have, which is mostly Christianity. This discussion revolves around this one sentence: I know there is no God, but I strongly believe in Him. There is a lot to unpack here. First of all I know that there is no God, and this is due to modern day science. The Bible, which is supposed to be the literal word of God, is inaccurate. While it still has morals to live life by (which I will address later), the fact that it states that the world was created in seven days and that Adam and Eve were the first and only humans are factually wrong. While it is certainly understandable that a century-old writing has flaws, it means that either the book is either not the exact word of God, or that God does not exist. It is much harder to prove that God does not exist, but it is just as hard to prove that He does. Religious people say that they intrinsically have a sense that there is a God. I have the same kind of intuition that there is no God. Moving onto the next part of the sentence, I believe in Him. This is where the discussion actually becomes philosophical. Above all else, belief in God justifies my external locus of control. I feel out of control, and that something else dictates my life. A God is a perfect justification, as if good things happen, I can say that it is divine will, and if things go wrong, I can still feel that this is all going along with a deity's plan. I think that religion could still have a positive impact on society, regardless of whether there is a God or not. I’ve seen people who donate their time and money to various charitable causes, in the name of God. In that case, it doesn’t matter whether there actually is a God or not, as long as the concept exists.

1 comment: