Thursday, May 18, 2017

Connection Blog #5

I really want to like capitalism. I really want to. It’s so hard though. I have a job, I contribute to society. I take great pride in that, and those are the aspects of capitalism I love. I noticed how Target had gay-friendly ads, and I liked that, so I shopped at Target. I love that I, as the consumer, have the power. I noticed that Chick-fil-a was very anti-gay, so I opted to not give them my money. Once again, capitalism allows me, the consumer, to use my power to influence corporations and companies. These are the strengths of capitalism, and I love that aspect. However, I go to a public school. I would not be here without unions. Those are not capitalistic. They are the opposite of that. I want a society where everyone starts on an equal field, and then can work harder to achieve more. That is my dream. Unfortunately, that is not the case. Because of my region, my parents, my race, my sexuality, my gender, anything really, I am not on an equal level. In a capitalist society, you need money to make money. Because I can afford a laptop, I can do better in school than someone who cannot. Because I can afford to go to college, I will earn more than someone who couldn’t. I don’t necessarily advocate giving all the money to the poor, rather I advocate giving them a fair and proper chance, for the successful should be where they are as a result of their own success, not riding on the coattails of their parents or surroundings. I want free education for everyone, because that is the best way to ensure that you get a fair chance at success. Furthermore, more education leads to a better society, as we’d have the best of the best, not just the best of the privileged.

1 comment:

  1. Unions are part of the capitalist system, they just want a better / bigger slice of the pie by using the collective power of the workers. And there's nothing wrong w/ wanting to live in a capitalist system, but we need to be cognizant of its flaws and hope to fix them.

    ReplyDelete