Thursday, June 1, 2017

Connection Blog #6

I’d like to preface this by saying that I was not here for the in-class discussion on Freud, and I might be wrong on many things, but I am so confused. I don’t really understand the concept of a freudian slip. I don’t think I’ve ever Freudian slipped in my life, it seems unrealistic. It seems that a person would need to be barely functioning to allow for a slip of the tongue. You’d need to be really sleep-deprived or under the influence of some kind of mind-altering substance to allow your mind to lax enough to give up like that. The example mentioned in the book was a little girl asking if a person takes sugar in their nose, given that she was not supposed to mention the nose. This seems implausible, as that I’m guessing that the little girl in question is thinking about what she is saying and planning out her sentences. I do a lot of extemporaneous and impromptu speaking, and I’ll often slip up, but I’ll never do a Freudian slip. For example, I’ll accidentally say President Obama instead of President Trump, but that doesn’t say anything about my unconscious. Before walking into the round, I remind myself to not say the word “racist” or “racism”, but I don’t blurt those words out. However, when I was little, and I went out for ice cream with my aunt, she told me not to tell my mother. As soon as I got home, I told my mom that “we definitely didn’t go out for ice cream!” Even though I brought up ice cream when I was not supposed to, this seems less like a freudian slip and more like simple ignorance that stems from youth. I just don’t really understand how a grown adult could make a mistake enough to cuss out their boss or insult someone. It seems like they should have more of a filter and know what they are going to say.

No comments:

Post a Comment